Sunday, August 25, 2013

A Peek at My Week - A New Linky Party

 I have been cleaning house all morning and decided to take a well deserved break.  Of course, I headed straight to my laptop to catch up on some blog reading (my favorite genre these days!).  However, I never made it past the first one I read.  Why?  Because I found a new linky party from Mrs. Laffin's Laughings... A Peek at My Week!


So here's the scoop...A Peek at My Week gives us a chance to share whatever it is that we have coming up this week.  It can be in the classroom, at home, or a combination of both.  You never know what little gems you might find through this linky!  I LOVE this idea.

What do I have planned for the week?  

We're heading into our second topic in math (rounding/adding/subtracting whole numbers/decimals) and I stumbled across a great resource at the Lakeshore Outlet store earlier this month.  This book has leveled practice pages which many of my kiddos are going to need this year.  We're not implementing common core until next year, but this book has far better practice pages than our current math adoption.


I'm sure everyone already knows about Ideas by Jivey's mentor sentence units, but this is my first year using them...LOVE them!  We're starting our second week.  The first week's work (First Day Jitters) was entirely guided and went wonderfully well.  This week we'll be reading Enemy Pie!



My fun project for the week will be setting up our new FREE aquarium.  I know, I know. I already wrote about this in my last post, but I'm so excited! To be honest, I can't remember which blog I found it on, but this earlier this summer I read about petsintheclassroom.org.   If you've been thinking about getting a class pet, go take a peek.  


I've got a couple of fun activities planned for the kids.  We'll be trying to Save Fred (check out Fabulous Fourth Grade Froggies for the directions) and working with partners for Two on a Crayon.  I love this activity.  It's a great lesson on cooperation and non-verbal communication.  Students are paired up and given one crayon and one piece of paper.  They both hold onto the crayon and attempt to draw a picture without speaking to each other.  While the drawings are always comical, the students reflections about the experience are what makes this activity so valuable.  Go check it out. 

On the homefront....I'm getting ready for my son's visit from Italy.  He's only here for Labor Day weekend and I plan to make the most of it.  My goal is to have next week's lessons planned by Thursday so I can have a work-free weekend.

That's a Peek at My Week.  Put down your plan book and go link up with Mrs. Laffin.




5 comments:

  1. Lakeshore Outlet???? We don't have one around here:(. So jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can believe it, I've lived here for 14 years and just found out about it last year. Which is probably a good thing. $$$$

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing Two on A Crayon, I'm totally going to try it my first week back! I just found your blog and am a new follower :)
    Jenn
    Doodling Around in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many great ideas here! I'm taking note of all of them.

    We have done Save Fred in the past, but I love the Two on a Crayon activity. Who thinks of these things??? Brilliant!

    I hope you have a wonderful visit with your son. Thanks for linking up! I hope you will link up again next Sunday and share some more great ideas!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did Save Fred and loved it. I'm DEFINITELY going to do the crayon activity. Thanks for sharing that!
    How exciting that your son will be visiting! Can't wait to read all about your visit with one another. Have a great week. I hope it passes quickly for you!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete