Saturday, August 24, 2013

Saturday Snapshots...

Technically it is still Saturday as I type this.  My day was filled with errands and I was thinking I'd sit down and spend my evening writing this post.  Not so!  I got an email from my son who lives in Italy saying he was going to 'drop' by next weekend.  Suddenly I have a 'to-do' list a mile long.  I knocked a few things off of it tonight and decided to make some time to link up with Miss Nelson's Saturday Snapshots.


It was a crazy, busy first FULL week back in school.  I've got 34 very chatty personalities who bound through my door every morning. They. Wear. Me. Out.  I didn't have time to catch my breath let alone take many pictures this week, but here are a few...

 Hard at work already.  This class needs to move and they need to do it often!  I'm going to give them every opportunity to spread out as much as they can.

 Our Dream Quilt squares came out really cute.  We managed to finish them and have them displayed before Back to School Night on Thursday.

 Costco surprised our school with a backpack for every child from 1st through 5th grade.  Not every child in my class wanted one.  They asked if they could donate them to 'needy kids'.  It makes my heart smile because our school serves the lowest economic area in the city.  We have nearly 100% free/reduced lunch kiddos.  They may not come to school well supplied and nicely dressed, but they definitely come with big hearts.



I came home to a 70 pound Pottery Barn box on my front porch this week and immediately set to putting together this bookcase.  I bought the baskets at the Container Store and have been waiting for over a month for the bookcase to come.  So excited!

 Friday had a rough start.  The Wild Ones went outside around 4 in the morning and made friends with a skunk.  Then they came in and 'shared' their adventure with us.  3 dogs + 1 skunk = well, there are no words to describe it.  Luckily my husband was a trooper about the whole ordeal and took the morning off from work to do the whole scrub-a-dub-dub-three-pups-in-a-tub thing.  For future reference, the baking soda, peroxide, and Dawn dish detergent remedy really does work!

 Tucker was obviously the ring leader in all of this and took the most direct hit from the skunk.

 Friday was not only skunk day, it was a minimum day because we had Back to School Night on Thursday.  While we could have left work at 11:45, we opted to stay and get our planning and copying done for next week.  Fours hours and one trip to Starbucks later, we were ready for a nap!

As exhausted as I was, I rushed home, showered and got ready for a night out.  My nephew is a bass guitarist and was playing at the Rellik Tavern here in town.  Let's just say that no one had to twist my arm to go listen to some great music and drink pomegranate cosmos after the day I had.


Alright, that brings me to my errand filled Saturday.  This was the highlight.  Have you heard about petsintheclassroom.org?  If you've been wanting a classroom pet, you have to go check it out.  All you have to do is fill out an online application, answer a few questions, choose a classroom pet, and they'll send you a coupon for a free habitat (depending on the type of animal you choose) and a couple of other coupons for a discount on the animal, food, and necessary supplies.  I submitted an application for funding last month and received my letter of approval and coupons this week.  I'm now the proud owner of a FREE 10 gallon deluxe aquarium ($70 value!) and a yet unnamed betta fish.  I'll be setting it up in the classroom on Monday.  The kids are going to love it!  It's been awhile since I've had anything alive in the room.  In the past I've had quite a zoo with rats, bearded dragons, boa constrictors, leopard geckos, a tarantula named Bob, king snakes, and hamsters.  I've been wanting another class pet for awhile now and this made the decision easy!  Go check out the website.

Okay, that's my week.  It's not officially midnight here so this still counts as SATURDAY Snapshots, not Sunday.  I'm hopping over to Miss Nelson's to see what everyone else has been up to...in the morning.  For now, I'm off to find my pillow!


4 comments:

  1. Oh no! A skunk! Poor babies! Poor you! On top of being a full week! Egads!

    Love your shelf!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pets in the Classroom sounds really neat. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving all of these pics. Glad your back to school night was a success. That pic was too cute. I can't believe the incident with the skunk. Oh MY! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 34????? I just passed out. I thought my 22 (19 of them are loopers with me) were wearing me out. You, my friend, are my hero and a Saint all rolled into one! WOW!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete