Saturday, October 5, 2013

A Little Bit of This and That for Saturday Snapshots

Cough, cough, sneeze, sniffle, sneeze...ugh... I caught the cold that's been going around my classroom for the last 2 weeks.  It made for a rough week, but I managed to sniffle-sneeze-cough my way through.  I even managed to get a couple of pictures of my week to link up with Miss Nelson's Saturday Snapshots.


I love going back into the staff work room and finding UPS boxes with my name on them!  I've been eagerly awaiting the arrival of my materials from The Walking Classroom, so I was thrilled to find this box back there on Tuesday.  


If you haven't heard about The Walking Classroom, go check out their website.  I applied for  a donated set of classroom materials late last spring and kept my fingers crossed over the summer.  Now Room 24 is the proud owner of a class set of WalkKits!  


Each student has their own WalkKit that is loaded with a year's worth of podcasts directly aligned with 5th grade English Language Arts Common Core State Standards.  Each podcast is about 15 minutes long and is accompanied by a great lesson plan and assessment piece in the teacher's binder.  I'm in love.

From The Walking Classroom website:

"Listening to this content builds standards-related knowledge and listening stamina.  Walking improves students’ moods and appreciation of exercise, of their environment and, most of all, of their own ability to learn in a whole new way. Moreover, what they listen to isn't just a textbook being read aloud. It's enthusiastic discussions and presentations by teachers and kids their age about things they need to know. Written and produced specifically for audio, these educational and entertaining podcasts allow the teacher to take the class on a 20-minute walk each day. "



I'll be posting more about this program once we are up and walking!  I'm not sure who is more excited about it:  the kids or ME!

We also saved Fred this week.  This was in my plans for the second week of school.  Hmmm...what week is this?  The timing was right though.  It was Friday.  Our music prep was cancelled...again.  That left the perfect hole in my lesson plans for the day and Fred still needed saving.




The background noise in this video about sums up the engagement factor of this activity:  




I went home with a mighty headache, but it was so worth it.  Have you saved Fred yet?


4 comments:

  1. That darn cold is making it's rounds! I will be spending my weekend on the couch eating gelato and watching movies. I hope you feel better soon! I will definitely check out The Walking Classroom info!
    Fifth Grade Wit and
    Whimsy

    ~Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you soooooo much for posting that video of Save Fred. I, too, bought those gummies before school started, thinking we would do it the first week of school. Those gummies are still sitting in my cupboard.... I've never done this before, so it was neat to see how the kids actually get the darn worm through the lifesaver. I just couldn't imagine how this would be accomplished. So thanks!

    That dirty, rotten cold everyone is posting about lately is really making it's way around the country. I also had that cold this week. It's now in my chest, so hacking up my lungs is what I'm doing now. Feel better!

    Ali
    Teaching Powered by Caffeine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what that darn Fred keeps doing to get himself in such trouble...we saved him about 3 weeks ago and here he's at it again! :)

    LOVE the idea of the Walking Classroom. Sounds like so much fun!!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to hear what you think about the Walking Classroom. Thank you so much for sharing the link. I started reading some about it and then sent the link to some of the other 5th grade teachers on my team. Hope you're feeling better!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete