Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Spot It! A Great Rainy Day Recess Game...if only it would rain!

Reading about all the snow days schools are having back east makes this a bit more difficult to admit, but here goes.  I want rain.  There are the obvious reasons I want rain.  Like the fact that we have had less than 15% of our average rainful this season.  That a good downpour would help to clean the dust and bird poo off my car.  That the lack of rain is going to adversely affect the wine grape crop I so depend on after a long week at work.  But there's another reason I want rain... rainy day recess.  Can you believe it?  I actually WANT a rainy day recess.  Go ahead and hate me if you must, but this 65 degree-blue-sky-bright-sunshine weather is getting old. I want to stay in and pull out the games and art materials.  I want to play "Mum Ball" and "Who's Missing?"  I also want to play a new game I was recently given:  Spot It! 


If you've played before, you already know how much fun it is.  I just got it for Christmas and have fallen in love with it.  I'm looking forward to sharing it with my class...just as soon as it rains!  The game comes in at least 10 different versions.  There's even a Spanish word version.  I have the one above and the camping version. Here are just a few others:



The game is designed for 2-8 players, but I prefer groups of 4.  So what's the gist?  It's a card game that tests visual perception.  Each card is covered with a variety of symbols and all cards have one symbol in common.  The object of the game is to be the first to recognize which symbols match and call out the match.  It's fast, fun, and a little bit loud so it may be better suited for rainy day recess than a quiet center...at least for my boisterous class.

I'm going to go do my rain dance now.  Wish me luck because here's our 5 day forecast:



2 comments:

  1. I'll start dancing for you! I'm sure my dad's grapes need some rain too...since y'all aren't that far apart. I'll have to check this game out. I would have to put it in the hallway like I do the karaoke machine. Lol!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Alison, this is CRAZY! I walked a few laps after school today in a sleeveless top and was still warm! We desperately need the rain. I finally broke down and went through a car wash to get the grime off my car. Sure hope your dad's grapes are hanging in there!

      Delete